It’s very easy to get over serious sometimes. So as a type of music therapy I was considering the idea of air guitar for acoustic guitarists. For anyone that is not up to speed on air guitar, think guitar performance minus one thing – the guitar itself. A lot of us are familiar with the wonderful antics of virtual electric guitar but how deeply has air acoustic guitar been explored.
I’ll make a few suggestions on a particular style. We’ll call it the air ballad.
So how to play the air ballad?
- Sit quietly on the edge of stage.
- Start with …”this is a song about a woman I once loved, anyone that has ever loved will know what I’m talking about ..”
- It’s got to be a very mournful expression
- I think fingerstyle is the go
- I guess it’s ok to sing along …yes?…or do we do the air vocals as well
- Expression…maybe meaningful in the chorus
- A virtual tear in the bridge
Or…maybe there’s people out there already doing it. Do old air guitarists eventually do an acoustic set or do they just do a reunion tour?